The world of glamour and politics has a very deep interrelation with each other. We have examples like Late Vinod Khanna, Dharmendra, Hema Malini, Raj Babbar and Shatrughan Sinha, who had great political careers apart from being acclaimed actors.
Like them, there are also some bigwigs of the Punjabi entertainment arena who have also tried their hands in politics. Here's a list of 5 Punjabi celebrities who turned politicians:
1. Bhagwant Maan: The ace comedian rose to prominence with his strong political and social satires. The Laughter Challenge and Gustakhi Maaf fame artist entered into politics through Manpreet Badal’s PPP in 2011. The very next year, he unsuccessfully contested assembly election from Lehragaga assembly constituency. Next year, he got onboard with Aam Aadmi Party and contested 2014’s Lok Sabha elections as its candidate from Sangrur. To the surprise of many, he defeated Veteran Akali leader and former Union Minister Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa by a record margin of 2,11,721 votes. Right now, he is the convener Aam Aadmi Party’s Punjab Unit and will lead the party’s state unit in the upcoming elections.
2. Gurpreet Ghuggi: The top actor of the Punjabi industry also donned the hat of a politician in early 2016 with AAP like a few of his other industry mates. His stint as a politician wasn’t very successful and sadly his electoral debut wasn’t a very pleasant one. Soon after joining the party, he was given the charge of AAP’s Punjab State Unit chief’s duty. Ghuggi left no stone unturned in discharging his duties and for that, he stayed away from the cinema for almost 1 year. Unfortunately, his hard work couldn’t bear fruit and he himself lost his election from Batala to Akali Dal’s Lakhbir Singh Lodhinagal. Following this defeat, Ghuggi resigned from the post of state unit’s convener.
3. Hans Raj Hans: The Sufi maestro started his political journey in November 2008, when he joined Shiromani Akali Dal. He made his electoral debut within 6 months of his entry when he was fielded as Akali Dal candidate from Jalandhar but he lost the fray by a narrow margin of 36,000 votes from Mohinder Singh Kaypee of Congress Party. But in spite of this defeat, he remained actively involved in politics and joined Congress Party in 2016. But soon he resigned from Congress after a fallout with the party and that very year he joined the Bhartiya Janata Party. There are strong rumors that he might again be seen into the political fray in 2019 on a BJP ticket.
4. Jassi Jasraj: Jasraj Longia aka Jassi Jasraj aka Karan Jasraj is another name in the list of actors or singer who donned the hat of a politician. The ‘Bikkar Bai Senti Mental’ fame artist became part of the Arvind Kejriwal’s outfit Aam Aadmi Party. Soon after getting on board, he jumped into the electoral fray as AAP’s candidate against bigwigs Harsimrat Kaur Badal and Manpreet Badal from Bathinda in 2014. Although he lost the bout and stood third with 87, 901 votes but his 80,000+ plus votes proved a spoiler for the runner-up Manpreet Badal, who lost to Harsimrat Kaur Badal by just 20,000 odd votes. Interestingly, in his entire campaign, he used to carry a wooden log with himself.
5. Muhammad Sadiq: The legendary folk singer surprised many political pundits when he defeated a heavyweight Akali Leader and Ex-IAS officer Darbara Singh Guru in the assembly elections of 2012. He represented the Bhadaur constituency of Barnala district as an MLA from 2012-17. In 2017 elections, he moved from Bhadaur to Jaitu where he lost to Aam Aadmi Party candidate Master Baldev Singh. In spite of this defeat, the 77-year-old veteran artist is still active in regional politics, regardless of his previous defeat.
If you think we have missed out any vital name, don’t fail to remind us in the comments section.